How to Awaken the Spirit – Ways to Live a Full Life in Christ
What does the bible say about awakening the spirit?
The Scriptures warn us:
- “Dismantled city, without walls, this is a man who does not own himself. “( Proverbs 25:28 )
A city or person like the ones mentioned in this verse is and remains unhappy, and self-control comes with awakening the spirit.
Without the self-control that comes from within, our life becomes vulnerable to countless aggressions. That is why God gives us this command:
- “Make an effort to add self-control to (…) knowledge (…). “( 2 Peter 1: 5-6 )
The believer whose teacher is the Spirit is a believer who is master of himself:
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace. Patience, goodness, benevolence, faith, meekness, self-control” ( Galatians 5:22 )
Immediately after advising his readers to vent their concerns about God, Peter also told them, “Be sober and watch” ( 1 Peter 5: 8 ).
Throughout the New Testament, therefore, we are encouraged to practice self-control to awaken the spirit. However, this is only possible for us if we are convinced, we really believe that we can control ourselves.
Key to awaken the spirit
The key to awakening the spirit is to be in control of your mind. It is for this reason that Solomon said: “Guard your heart more than anything else, for from it springs the springs of life.” ( Proverbs 4:23 )
Likewise, Paul instructs the Romans in these terms: “In fact, those who conform to their own nature worry about the realities of human nature, while those who conform to the Spirit worry about what will be, the mind “( Romans 8: 5 )
What is your state of mind? Are you full of selfish, envious, jealous, or bitter thoughts? Or do you worry about what pleases God?
Do you fix your gaze on God, his Word, and the wonders he has done for us? Or do you focus on your own anguish, your unhappiness, and the abuse that others have caused you? According to the scriptures, the choice is yours to awaken the spirit.
Time and time again we are advised to get rid of our bad thoughts and the bad behaviors they cause, in order to replace them with good thoughts and upright, upright behavior.
- “You have been taught, within the framework of your union with him, what is according to the truth that is in Jesus. It consists of getting rid of your old way of living, that of the man you were and who was corrupted following his deceptive desires, renewing yourself in your mind and your intelligence, and dressing as a man. New, created. According to the mind of God, to be just and holy according to the truth. Therefore, get rid of the lie, each of you tells the truth to your neighbor. ”( Ephesians 4: 21-24 )
- “I, therefore, recommend to you, brothers and sisters, because of this immense goodness of God, that you offer him your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God. This will be reasonable worship on your part. Do not take the current world as a model, but let yourself be transformed by the renewal of your intelligence, to be able to discern the will of God: what is good, what pleases him. “( Romans 12.1-2 )
These passages teach us that we must put on a new nature in Jesus Christ and put off our old sinful nature. Would God ask us to control our minds and actions if we couldn’t?
Is God so far from our reality or is he so cruel that he commands us to do the impossible?
Pedro says: “Keep your mind awake and exercise restraint. “( 1 Peter 1:13 ) The expression translated” Keep your mind awake “literally means” Gird up the loins of your spirit. ”
In the first century, both men and women wore long dresses. When faced with stressful situations, they can fight or flee. But first, they had to grab the back hem of her dress, put it between her legs, and tie it around the waist with the belt: only then were they ready to fight or run, without fear of tripping while running. Dresses.
This is exactly what we should do with our mind
Take control of her, prepare her for battle so she doesn’t stumble. The fight requires preparation, determination, and good judgment. We must keep our minds united to Christ and draw our strength from him. Because we too have been raised with Christ; therefore, let us look for the realities above, where Christ is, who is seated at the right hand of God. With all your thinking, tend towards the realities above and not towards those that belong to the earth. ( Colossians 3: 1-2 )
How not to quench the Spirit that gives life to the inner being
When we invite the Holy Spirit to fill our minds with light and knowledge, he encourages us, that is, illuminates and awakens the inner being. This is a way to awaken the spirit. But, there are times that we unconsciously turn off the spirit. Let’s see what the word says:
In 1 Thessalonians 5, Paul exhorted members to behave appropriately toward the Saints. He went on to list qualities and good behaviors. In verse 19, he counsels with a few simple words: ” Do not quench the Spirit .”
The invitations of the world are meant to divert our attention from the narrow and narrow path. The adversary works hard to mitigate our sensitivity to the promptings of the Spirit, whether we are adolescents, young adults, or mature men or women. The role of the Spirit, of the Holy Spirit, is essential in every period of our earthly existence.
God’s promise (it is necessary to awaken the spirit)
From the beginning, the Father promised each of his spiritual sons and daughters that through the atoning sacrifice and resurrection of His beloved Son, we could all return to his presence and inherit the blessings of God. Eternal life in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom.
We all knew that the road to euphoria would be long, arduous, and at times lonely, but we also knew that we would not travel alone. Heavenly Father gives all who meet the prerequisites of faith, repentance, and baptism a companion and guide, the Holy Ghost.
The path to eternal life is not stagnant.
It is steep and climbs constantly. Hence the need to have a spiritual understanding and increasing energy to reach your destination. As long as Satan’s pernicious opposition endures, the continual and enlightened leadership of the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
We dare not interrupt, neglect, or suppress the promptings of the Holy Spirit. However, we are often far from accepting all the beneficial murmurs and blessings of the Holy Spirit to which we are entitled.
- In the Pearl of Great Price, Moses records that Adam, having been baptized and having received the Holy Spirit, ” was quickened in the inner man .”
When we invite the Holy Spirit to fill our minds with light and knowledge, he enlivens us, that is, illuminates and awakens the inner being. Then we notice a noticeable difference in our soul. We feel empowered and full of peace and joy. We have spiritual energy and enthusiasm, which enhances our natural abilities. We can accomplish more than we could on our own. We aspire to be holier by awakening the spirit.
Would you like to know the price to pay for the rights that are offered to us after receiving the Holy Spirit?
The price is not predetermined or fixed, but it is up to each of us to determine it. If you set your pay, that is, your personal efforts very low, you may not be able to take advantage of all that Spirit has to offer.
You could even quench the Spirit! If, on the other hand, you make a great personal contribution, you will have an abundant harvest of the Spirit. The payment I am referring to is, of course, not a matter of further commitment and investment in your spiritual efforts and conduct.
We determine the level of our contribution by examining our current options and priorities based on questions such as:
- Do I spend more time playing sports than going to church or fulfilling my calling?
- If I have a day off, do I go to the temple or the mall?
- Am I playing computer games and surfing the Internet instead of providing a useful service to the people in my home and community?
- Do I read the newspaper religiously but have a hard time reading the scriptures every day?
You can ask yourself other questions to assess the appropriateness of your current choices and priorities.
Regardless of our current level of spiritual development, there is always a higher level within our grasp. Time is a very precious commodity.
Would you consider spending more time on matters of eternity in order to earn the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and benefit more fully from his influence?
If your answer is yes, the first sacrifice in this search for a deeper spirituality is to have a greater desire to receive greater inspiration and become holier. When these wishes fill our hearts, we will eagerly increase the price we pay for heaven’s help.
The next contribution to this effort will be to immerse ourselves more often in the words of Christ and the prophets. As we try harder to study, we will feel the influence of the Holy Ghost more.
Let us search the scriptures, pen in hand, taking note of new ideas and promptings from the Spirit. Then try to apply what you have learned to your personal life. The Spirit will vivify our inner being, you will obtain a new understanding, precept upon precept.
To ensure that you do not quench the Spirit, but awaken the spirit through the actions of good deeds, there is another step to take. Pray often and fervently. The loving and detailed promise of the Savior as recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants as the following:
- “Come close to me, and I will come close to you;
- “Search me diligently and you will find me,
- “Ask and you will receive,
- “Knock and the door will be opened for you.
- “Everything that you ask the Father in my name, that is useful to you, will be given 5. “
Look at the order, brothers, and sisters. We draw near to the Savior when we rigorously observe His commandments. We fervently pray to the Father in the name of Christ. Then, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, we receive divine guidance and clear understanding.
As we fast, renew our covenants at the sacrament, and attend the temple, we have greater access to the Spirit. In these circumstances, the Holy Spirit can show his influence with great force.
The temple is a wonderful setting to seek personal revelation.
When we go as often as we can and listen as we reflect, ponder the glorious promises and hopes that relate to eternity, we gain a greater understanding of Heavenly Father’s plan for it.
The Holy Spirit expands our vision and allows this eternal perspective to influence our daily decisions. If we make this effort and do not quench the Spirit, our inner being will be quickened.
Eternal life awaits us if we persevere. Furthermore, we dare not extinguish the Spirit through disobedience or negligence. But let’s live by the Spirit, emphasizing the sacred and essential role of the Holy Spirit in our lives. If you truly seek the Holy Spirit, you will benefit more fully from His silent but essential power.
How to revive or awaken the Spirit?
- The apostle Paul exhorted the members of one of the congregations he had founded, saying, ” Quench not the Spirit ” ( 1 Thessalonians 5:19 )
- He recommended the following to the young evangelist Timothy: “… I urge you to relive the gift of God that you have received with the laying on of my hands. Because it is not a spirit of shyness that God has given us, but a spirit of strength, love and wisdom “( 2 Timothy 1: 6-7 )
Paul compared the Spirit of God to a brand in a dying fire. He encouraged Timoteo to relight the charcoal, to blow on it to relight the flame. He knew that we must not neglect the gift of the Spirit of God, to let the fire cool.
How can we maintain the courage, strength, and love that God gives us by his Spirit?
What could extinguish – suffocate – our first love and our enthusiasm to draw closer to God and allow him to truly change our lives? Several verses give us the answer.
- Paul tells us: “Furthermore, be strong in the Lord and by His omnipotence. Put on the full armor of God, so you can face the wiles of the devil. Because we do not have to fight against blood and flesh, but against dominions, against authorities, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against evil spirits in heavenly places. Therefore, take up all the weapons of God, so that you can endure in the bad day, and stand firm after you have overcome it all ”( Ephesians 6: 10-13 )
Satan will do everything in his power to discourage us, to disappoint and worry us, to make us lose our trust in God.
What did Paul mean by “taking up all the arms of God” in our defense?
What can we use to resist the self-defeating attitudes of fear, apathy, and discouragement?
- Paul goes on to say, “Stand firm, therefore: have the truth as a belt around your loins; put on the breastplate of justice; stand up the zeal that gives the Gospel of peace; above all, take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one; take also the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God “( Verses 14-17 )
Paul says that we must stand firm in the truth that we have learned, as we strive to live righteously no matter what. We must also participate in the proclamation of the gospel, never losing sight of the fact that our goal is eternal life while using the Word of God as a sword that exposes all deception.
- But just as important is what Paul adds later: “Make all kinds of prayers and supplications in the Spirit at all times. Look at this with total perseverance and pray for all the saints. Pray for me, that when I open my mouth, I may be granted to make known with courage and sincerity the mystery of the Gospel, of which I am an ambassador in chains, and that I speak of it with confidence as I have done to speak of it “( Verses 18-20 )
- God is love: 10 things to know about God’s love
- Parable of the rich fool Meaning; Luke 12:13
- Understanding How To Receive Positive Surprises
Awaken the spirit by being active in the lord
Our ability to stay spiritually strong and active depends on our tendency to trust God. It is through prayer that our line of communication with Him is maintained.
Paul and those who helped him prayed not only for their own needs but also for God to strengthen those who would be converted because of the work they were doing.
Therefore, we also pray continually for you, that our God judge you worthy of the vocation, and that he fulfills with his power all the benevolent designs of his goodness and the work of your faith, that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and be glorified in him, according to the grace of our God and of the Lord Jesus Christ “( 2 Thessalonians 1: 11-12 )
He encouraged them to get used to praying in turn, not only for themselves but also for him and other partners in faith:
- Persevere in prayer, watch over it with thanksgiving. Pray at the same time for us, so that God will open a door for us to speak so that I can announce the mystery of Christ, by which I am bound, and make it known how I should speak of him. ( Colossians 4: 2-4 )
Awaken the spirit in prayer
In particular, he wanted them to pray for the success of his evangelistic work, as well as for the service he rendered to the Church of God:
- “I beg you, brothers, through our Lord Jesus Christ and for the love of the Spirit, to fight with me, offering prayers to God for me, so that I may be delivered from the unbelievers of Judea. Jerusalem be accepted by the saints ”( Romans 15: 30-31 )
One way to keep the Spirit of God active and productive in our lives is to have a clear vision of the overall plan that God is carrying out. If we worry too much about ourselves and our problems, we become more vulnerable to the negative influences of Satan.
Paul encouraged the new converts to realize that they were participating in a great work of which God was the author. As responsible for preaching the gospel in his part of the world, he encouraged them to enthusiastically support his efforts with their prayers.
Verses to awaken the spirit
- “He is the one who freed us and who will free us from such death, from whom we hope to free us again, you also assist us with your prayers, so that the grace obtained for us by many or by many an opportunity to give thanks for us. “( 2 Corinthians 1: 8-11 )
Paul mentioned his concerns for those who had been converted under his ministry.
- “I thank my God for all the memory that I keep of you, without ceasing, in all my prayers for all of you, to show my joy for the part you take in the Gospel, from the first day until now. I am convinced that whoever started this good work in you will make it perfect for the day of Jesus Christ. ( Philippians 1: 3-6 )
Awaken the spirit with fasting
It is important that our trust in God is alert and active. Sometimes we will need to combine our prayers with a fast, to increase our zeal and renew our dedication and commitment to God. King David wrote that he “humbled his soul with fasting. ( Psalms 35:13 )
Fasting is abstaining from all food, solid or liquid, for a short time, to convince ourselves that we are not self-sufficient. Fasting helps us understand how fragile we are and how dependent we are on things outside of ourselves, things we often take for granted, like eating and drinking.
The Bible speaks of great men of faith, such as Moses, Elijah, Daniel, Paul, and Jesus himself, who fasted to draw closer to God ( Exodus 34:28; 1 Kings 19: 8; Daniel 9: 3; 10: 2-3; 2 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 4: 2 ).
- What Is Spiritual Blindness: meaning and explanation
- consequences of pride according to the bible
- With God Nothing Is Impossible Explanation
- Someone asked Jesus the following question: “The disciples of John and the Pharisees were fasting.
- They approached and said to Jesus: Why do the disciples of John and those of the Pharias fast, while your disciples do not fast?
- Jesus answered them: Can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the groom with them, they cannot fast. Days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day. ( Mark 2: 18-20 )
Jesus knew that when he was no longer with them in the flesh, his true disciples would sometimes need to fast to regain their zeal to serve him … that they would need to revive the gift of the Holy One. Spirit in them.
Approach to awakening the spirit with fasting
Jesus also explained the correct approach to take when approaching a fast:
- “When you fast, do not be sad, like the hypocrites, who give up with a broken face, to show men that they are fasting. I tell you the truth, you get your reward. But when you fast, perfume your head and wash your face, so as not to show men that you are fasting, but rather your Father, who is there in the secret place; and your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you. “( Matthew 6: 16-18 )
- Santiago tells us, for his part: “Come close to God, and he will come close to you.” ( James 4: 8 )
This is what we can do if we don’t relax in prayer and fast occasionally. We may be in the habit of rekindling and awakening the Spirit of God that is in us.