When we are born again or believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, our spirit undergoes regeneration; we are becoming a new creature according to 2 Corinthians 5:17. And Jesus before returning to His father, let His disciples know the things that we will be able to do through the new birth. These things actually represent the mandate that every member of the body of Christ is called to fulfill (Mark 16: 16-18). On this list of miracles that will accompany us, the element that interests us especially in this article is speaking it in new languages.
Speaking in tongues is therefore this spiritual language which cannot be learned or understood by our human intelligence. With this supernatural language, we communicate directly with God (1 Corinthians 14: 2). The Holy Spirit gives our minds a new language which the Bible also calls the language of the angels (1 Corinthians 13: 1).
In 1 Corinthians 14:15, the apostle Paul lets us know the 2 ways of praying. He said: “I will pray with the spirit, but I will also pray with the understanding “. So it is not enough to know that there is a way of praying in the spirit (praying in tongues), because we do not rejoice in a thing because of the knowledge we have of it but much more in the knowledge that we have of it. knowledge of the effects it produces. Why is it so important to pray in tongues?
- Praying in tongues helps build ourselves up (1 Corinthians 14: 4, Jude 1:20).
- When we pray in tongues, our spirit is in direct contact with God who is Spirit Himself. We speak to Him by divine means, without possible interference!
- Praying in tongues keeps us continually aware of the presence of the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. It helps us to always be attentive to His presence within us and it will influence our life.
- Praying in tongues allows us to pray according to God’s perfect will. When we pray in tongues, we pray as the Holy Spirit gives us expression (Romans 8:26). The Holy Spirit will not pray for us, He’s sent to help us pray. And this prevents any possibility of self-centeredness in our prayers.
- Praying in tongues allows us to make coded prayers (mysteries) that the devil has difficulty decoding (1 Corinthians 14: 2).
- Praying in tongues takes you out of the limits of the flesh towards the abundant supply of the Spirit of God.
- Praying in tongues takes you beyond what intelligence knows.
- Speaking in tongues broadens your perspective of the power of God in your life.
- Speaking in tongues allows you to understand the scriptures from a divine point of view, not just an intellectual one.
Prayer in the Spirit is the prayer of the new creature that we are in Christ and it begins at the divine investiture, namely at the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Sad to say, but some Christians still disbelieve in speaking in tongues. If you are one of them, let me tell you that not believing in speaking in tongues does not make it false or heretical. You are actually depriving yourself of this great blessing and great benefit that God has made available within His Church. So, if you have never received this gift, I encourage you to sigh after this gift, to enjoy the benefits it provides. And for you who are already speaking, desire even more depth!