Why does the scripture advise we move in silence?
There are times when we should be quiet and other times when we should speak up. When we are withdrawing ourselves from conflict, listening to instruction, or regulating our tongue, Christians ought to keep silent. At times, we must go before the Lord and be still in His presence. We sometimes need to be silent and remove ourselves from distractions to hear the Lord.
What does the Bible say?
We must learn to be silent in front of the Lord to grow in our relationship with Him. Silence can be a sin at times.
It’s a pity that many so-called Christians nowadays remain silent about speaking out against immorality and evil.
We are to proclaim the Word of God, discipline, and admonish others as Christians. Many Christians are hesitant to stand out for God and save lives because they are so worldly. They’d rather folks perish in hell than confess the truth.
It is our responsibility to speak out against evil because who else will? I encourage everyone to pray for strength to stand up for what is right, as well as for the ability to keep silent when necessary.
3 Good move in silence quotes
- Silence is a source of great strength.
- Wise men are not always silent, but they know when to be.
- God is the best listener. You don’t need to shout nor cry out loud because He hears even the silent prayer of a sincere heart!
Bible verses about silence
1. Ecclesiastes 9:17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools.
2. Ecclesiastes 3:7-8 a time to tear and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak; a time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.
Be silent in angry situations.
3. Ephesians 4:26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on the cause of your anger.
4. Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.
5. Proverbs 29:11 A fool lets fly with all his temper, but a wise person keeps it back.
6. Proverbs 10:19 Transgression is at work where people talk too much, but anyone who holds his tongue is prudent.
Be silent from speaking evil.
7. Proverbs 21:23 Whoever guards his mouth and his tongue keep himself out of trouble.
8. Ephesians 4:29 No foul language is to come from your mouth, but only what is suitable for building up someone in need so that it gives grace to those who hear.
9. Psalm 141:3 O LORD, set a guard at my mouth. Keep watch over the door of my lips.
10. Proverbs 18:13 If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame
When it comes to warning people and exposing evil, we must not stay silent.
11. Ezekiel 3:18-19 If I say to the wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ but you do not warn him—you don’t speak out to warn him about his wicked way in order to save his life—that wicked person will die for his iniquity. Yet I will hold you responsible for his blood. But if you warn a wicked person and he does not turn from his wickedness or his wicked way, he will die for his iniquity, but you will have saved your life.
12. Ephesians 5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Why not remain silent?
13. James 5:20 Let him know that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death and shall hide a multitude of sins.
14. Galatians 6:1 Brothers, even if a person is caught in some transgression, you who are spiritual should correct that one in a gentle spirit, looking to yourself, so that you also may not be tempted.
The world will hate you for not being silent on what’s right, but we’re not of the world.
15. John 15:18-19 If the world hates you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
We must speak up for those who can’t speak up for themselves.
16. Proverbs 31:9 Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and oppressed.
17. Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do what is good. Seek justice. Correct the oppressor. Defend the rights of the fatherless. Plead the widow’s cause.
Be silent when listening to advice.
18. Proverbs 19:20-21 Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future. Many are the plans in a man’s mind, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Waiting patiently for the Lord
19. Lamentations 3:25-26 The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the person who searches for him. It is good to hope and wait patiently for the LORD’s salvation.
20. Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
21. Psalm 62:5-6 My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
Be silent and be still in the presence of the Lord.
22. Zephaniah 1:7 Stand in silence in the presence of the Sovereign LORD, for the awesome day of the LORD’s judgment is near. The LORD has prepared his people for a great slaughter and has chosen their executioners.
23. Luke 10:39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
24. Mark 1:35 Then Jesus got up early in the morning when it was still very dark, departed, and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer.
25. Psalm 37:7 Be silent in the LORD’s presence and wait patiently for him. Don’t be angry because of the one whose way prospers or the one who implements evil schemes.