Is God a person?
By looking at the created world around us, we can see that there is a God. “Who is God?” is one of man’s most burning questions. To find a solution to this critical topic, we must look to the Bible.
50 Bible Verses That Explain Who God Is
The Bible contains everything we need to know about God, how we can know Him, and how we can serve Him.
Who is God?
The Bible explains who God is to us. God is the universe’s All-Powerful Creator. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the three divine individuals who make up the Lord. He is flawless, holy, and loving. God is completely dependable and secure. He is the only one who can save us.
Quotes About God
“The attributes of God tell us what He is and who He is.” – William Ames
“If we take away any of the attributes of God, we do not weaken God but we weaken our concept of God.” Aiden Wilson Tozer
“Worship is the proper response of all moral, sentient beings to God, ascribing all honor and worth to their Creator-God precisely because he is worthy, delightfully so.”—D.A. Carson
“God is the Creator and the Giver of life, and the life that He gives does not run dry.”
“Always, everywhere God is present, and always He seeks to discover Himself to each one.” A.W. Tozer
“To fall in love with God is the greatest romance; to seek him the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement.” Saint Augustine
- is there anything too hard for God? Explanation of Jeremiah 32:27
- 25 Important crying out to God Scriptures
- Praying the will of God, How should we pray according to the will of God?
Bible verses about who God is
1) 1 John 1:5 “This is the message that we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light, in him there is no darkness at all.”
2) Joshua 1:8-9 “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
3) 2 Samuel 22:32-34 “For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights.”
4) Psalms 54:4 “Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.”
5) Psalms 62:7-8 “My salvation and my honor depend on God ; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah.”
6) Exodus 15:11 “Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?”
7) 1 Timothy 1:17 “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”
8) Exodus 3:13-14 “Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.”
9) Malachi 3:6 “For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.”
10) Isaiah 40:28 “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.”
Understanding the Nature of God
We can learn about God by the ways He has revealed Himself to us. We can understand His traits, even if some elements of Him will remain a mystery.
11) John 4:24 “God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
12) Numbers 23:19 “God is not human, that he should lie not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?”
13) Psalm 18:30 “As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless he shields all who take refuge in him.”
14) Psalm 50:6 “And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for He is a God of justice.”
God is perfect and holy. He is pure and righteous. He is also a just judge who will judge the world correctly. Despite man’s depravity, God has provided a way for man to be reconciled to Him through the perfect Son’s sacrifice
15) Deuteronomy 4:24 “For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.”
16) Deuteronomy 4:31 “For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath.”
17) 2 Chronicles 30:9 “If you return to the LORD, then your brothers and your children will be shown compassion by their captors and will come back to this land, for the LORD your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to him.”
18) Psalms 50:6 “And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for God himself is judge. Selah.”
God in the Old Testament
The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are the same. The Old Testament was written to show us how distant man is from God and how he can never hope to reach God on his own. The Old Testament emphasizes the necessity for a Messiah: Jesus Christ.
19) Psalms 116:5 “The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.”
20) Isaiah 61:1-3 “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion– to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.”
21) Exodus 34:5-7 “Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.”
22) Psalm 84:11-12 “For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing doe he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. Lord Almighty, blessed is the one who trusts in you.”
In Jesus Christ, God revealed himself.
Through the Person of Jesus Christ, God has shown Himself. Jesus is not a man-made entity. Jesus is God in the flesh. He is the Trinity’s Second Person. “All things were created through Him and for Him,” says Colossians 1, while discussing Christ’s supremacy. Everything is done for the sake of Christ and His glory. God came down in the shape of a man to redeem His people from the cost of their sins by living the ideal life that we couldn’t. God has made a way via the blood of His Son out of His love.
God, Himself poured out His wrath upon Christ so that the sins of His people could be atoned for. Look and see how God in His love has made a way to reconcile you to Himself through Jesus.
23) Luke 16:16 “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.”
24) Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
25) 1 Corinthians 1:9 “God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.”
26) Hebrews 1:2 “but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.”
27) Matthew 11:27 “All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.”
God is love
We will never be able to understand God’s love for us. One of the most powerful verses of Scripture is John 3:16. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” The Bible teaches us that our greatest works are filthy rags. Scripture teaches us that unbelievers are slaves to sin and are enemies of God. However, God loved you so much that He gave up His Son for you. When we understand the great depths of our sin and see the great price paid for us, we start to understand what it means that God is love. God has taken away your shame, and He has crushed His Son for you. This beautiful truth is what compels us to seek after Him and desire to please Him.
28) John 4:7-9 “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.”
29) John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
30) Psalm 117:2 “For His lovingkindness is great toward us, And the truth of the Lord is everlasting. Praise the Lord!”
31) Romans 5:8 “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
32) 1 John 3:1 “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”
33) Psalm 86:15 “But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.”
34) John 15:13 “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
35) Ephesians 2:4 “But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us.”
The ultimate objective of God
From Scripture, we can see that God’s ultimate objective is to draw His people to Himself. That we might be redeemed, and that He might work out our sanctification in us so that we can become more like Christ. Then He will alter us in heaven so that we can be glorious like Him. We can see that God’s ultimate plan is one of love and redemption throughout the Bible.
36) Psalm 33:11-13 “But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance. From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind”
37) Psalms 68:19-20 “Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Selah. Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death.”
38) 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”
39) “1 Corinthians 10:31 “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.”
40) Revelation 21:3 “And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.”
41) Psalm 24:1 “The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it.”
42) Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.”
43) Ephesians 1:11 “In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will.”
Searching for God
God can be comprehended. We worship a God who is near and longs to be discovered. He wishes to be noticed. He invites us to come and see Him. Through the death of His Son, He has established a means for us to have a personal connection with Him. Praise God for allowing Himself to be known as the Creator of the entire universe and the rules of physics.
44) Psalms 10:4 “In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.”
45) 2 Corinthians 9:8 “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
46) Job 23:3 “Oh, that I knew where I might find him, that I might come even to his seat!”
47) Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
48) Genesis 3:9 “But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?”
49) Psalm 9:10 “And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.”
50. Hebrews 11:6 “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”