Joy is essential in life that everyone needs. on this post is a selection of encouraging Scriptures on Joy
What is joy in the Bible?
Joy is one of the most significant aspects of the Christian life. However, it appears that far too many Christians are unhappy. It seems that we are just scraping by and going through the motions of life. We were created for so much more! Let’s figure out what it takes to be happy.
What does the Bible say about joy?
True happiness is a gift from God. Joy is one of the Holy Spiritual fruits, according to Scripture. Believing in God, belonging to His Kingdom, and recognizing Jesus as Lord provide joy.
1. Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
2. Romans 14:17 “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”
3. Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”
4. Philippians 1:25 “Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith.”
5. Matthew 13:20 “What was sown on the rocky places, this is he who hears the word, and immediately with joy receives it.”
6. 1 Chronicles 16:27 “Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place.”
7. Nehemiah 8:10 said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
8. 1 Chronicles 16:33-35 “Let the trees of the forest sing, let them sing for joy before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth. 34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. 35 Cry out, “Save us, God our Savior; gather us and deliver us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name, and glory in your praise.”
9. Psalm 95:1 “Oh come, let us sing to the LORD; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!”
10. Psalm 66:1 “Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth!”
11. Psalm 81:1 “Sing for joy to God our strength; make a joyful noise to the God of Jacob.”
12. Psalm 20:4-6 “May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. 5 May we shout for joy over your victory and lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests. 6 Now this I know: The Lord gives victory to his anointed. He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary with the victorious power of his right hand.”
13. Matthew 25:21 “His lord said to him,’Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things, I will set you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord.”
14. Luke 19:6 “Zacchaeus quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his house in great excitement and joy.”
15. Luke 15:7 “I tell you that even so there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance.”
16. John 16:22 “So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.”
17. Psalm 118:24 “This is the day the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
18. Proverbs 10:28 “The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish.”
19. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Always be joyful. 17 Always keep on praying. 18 No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”
20. Isaiah 61:10 “I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”
21. Luke 10:20 “However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
22. Psalm 30:5 “For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.”
23. Philippians 3:1-3 “Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. I never get tired of telling you these things, and I do it to safeguard your faith. Watch out for those dogs, those people who do evil, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved. For we who worship by the Spirit of God are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort.”
24. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”
25. Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Where does your joy come from?
Where do you go to find joy? What do you gravitate toward the most if you’re being sincere? What are you doing to fuel your mind? I can tell you from personal experience that I am happier when my devotional life is in good shape. When I’m too focused on secular music or television, I start to feel empty.
We were created for Christ, and while some things aren’t necessarily evil, having too many of them might pull our hearts away from Him. To drink the water that Christ has to provide, we must first remove the broken cisterns in our life. One of the Holy Spirit’s fruits is joy.
However, if we quench the Spirit, we risk missing out on what the Holy Spirit has to offer. Most of us are missing out on Christ’s beauty because our hearts are elsewhere.
Let us repent and have a heart change that will lead us back to Jesus. Cut off whatever is obstructing your ability to experience Christ truly. Develop a closer relationship with Him. Go to that unique area where you may spend time alone with Him and be enthralled by His beauty. Allowing your love for Christ to become or remain common is a mistake. Seek Him out and fix your gaze on Him.
26. John 7:37-38 “On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
27. John 10:10 “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.“
28. Psalm 16:11 “You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.”
29. John 16:24 “Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.”
Happiness vs joy
Happiness is temporary and can be influenced by external factors. Joy, on the other hand, is an interior feeling that lasts. Pleasure can make you happy, but the results are short-lived. A true delight in the Lord endures forever.
30. Ecclesiastes 2:1-3 “I said to myself, “Come on, let’s try pleasure. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life.” But I found that this, too, was meaningless. 2 So I said, “Laughter is silly. What good does it do to seek pleasure?” 3 After much thought, I decided to cheer myself with wine. And while still seeking wisdom, I clutched at foolishness. In this way, I tried to experience the only happiness most people find during their brief life in this world.”
31. Psalm 4:7 “You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.”
32. Psalm 90:14 “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”
Joy in trials verses
For some people, finding joy amid adversity seems impossible. When we keep our minds on Christ rather than our circumstances, this impossible thought can become a reality for a believer. It’s easier to find joy amid adversity when we trust in God’s sovereignty and His immense love for us. Even though the situation appears hopeless, we know that the Lord is sovereign, and we believe that He will carry out His will in our lives.
Paul wrote a letter to the Philippians while imprisoned, telling them to “rejoice always!” How could Paul say such a thing while imprisoned and on the verge of persecution? It’s because the Lord was the source of his delight. Christ triumphed on the cross, and today He lives within believers. Our conquering Lord resides within us and will never abandon us. Christ is the reason we can smile even though we are suffering. We can give the Lord praise in our trials because of Christ. Rather than focusing on your difficulties, focus on Christ, who is the answer.
Having joy does not exclude us from expressing our problems to the Lord. We are, however, reminded of His goodness, and we have a God who soothes and encourages us. Years of pain and loneliness followed my conversion to Christianity. During that period, though, I was firmly planted in the Lord. In prayer and His Word, I was always seeking His face. During those times of uncertainty, I felt at ease and joyful.
Looking back, I realize that the Lord was the source of my joy throughout those trying days. Because my delight came from Him, and I knew He was in control of my situation, I did not sink into despair. Always keep in mind that focusing on Christ gives you so much power.
33. Hebrews 12:2-3 “Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
34. James 1:2-4 “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4 And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”
35. Romans 12:12 “Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer.”
36. Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!”
37. 2 Corinthians 7:4 “I am acting with great boldness toward you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with comfort. In all our affliction, I am overflowing with joy.”
38. Philippians 4:5-8 “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
18. Psalm 94:19 “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
40. Matthew 5:12 “Be joyful and triumphant, because your reward is great in the Heavens; for so were the Prophets before you persecuted.”
41. Luke 6:22-23 “Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. 23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.”
42. 1 Peter 1:7-8 “These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.”
- See scriptures about joyfulness of heart
- 35 Motivational Prayers For Happiness And Joy
- 5 Effective Keys to Enjoying the Grace of God
The joy in obedience to God verses
The deeper we go into sin, the more we suffer its consequences. Shame, worry, emptiness, and grief are all consequences of sin. When we give our life to Christ, we are filled with delight. Obedience brings joy not because we believe in our own worth but because we are living in God’s favor. His grace provides us with everyday strength.
We were created to abide in Him, and if we do not, we will feel and become feeble. Depending on His grace, abiding in His love, living by faith, trusting Him, cherishing His Word, and being obedient to His Word are all examples of abiding in Christ. Obedience brings joy because of the great price paid for us on the cross.
43. John 15:10-12 “If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. ‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”
44. Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
45. Psalm 119:47-48 “For I delight in your commands because I love them. 48 I reach out for your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on your decrees.”
46. Psalm 119:1-3 “Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths.”
47. Psalm 119:14 “I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.”
48. Psalm 1:2 “Instead, they find joy in obeying the Law of the LORD, and they study it day and night.”
59. Jeremiah 15:16 “When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God of Heaven’s Armies.”
Joy from community
We were not designed for existing in isolation. We are harming ourselves if we are not participating in a community. We are urged to encourage our brothers and sisters as Christians. We need to remind each other where our delight originates from on a regular basis. We need to keep reminding each other to keep our eyes on Christ. Community is necessary for our Christian walk as well as for joy.
60. Hebrews 3:13 “But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.”
61. 2 Corinthians 1:24 “Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm.”
62. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
63. Proverbs 15:23 “A person finds joy in giving an apt reply– and how good is a timely word!”
64. Romans 12:15 “Rejoice with those who rejoice [sharing others’ joy], and weep with those who weep [sharing others’ grief].”
verses for God’s joy
God is overjoyed because of us! That is utterly mind-boggling to me, and I’m not sure how you feel about it. Consider the following scenario for a moment. God delights in you. The universe’s Creator loves you so much that He sings over you. He isn’t attempting to love you. He doesn’t have to work hard to adore you. He truly loves you, and He has demonstrated that love through Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection.
God can’t love a sinner like me, I think to myself at times. That, however, is a deception perpetrated by Satan. He not only loves me, but He also rejoices in me.
65. Zephaniah 3:17 “The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.”
66. Psalm 149:4 “For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation.”
67. Psalm 132:16 “I will clothe her priests with salvation, and her faithful people will ever sing for joy.”
68. Psalm 149:5 “Let the saints exult in glory; let them shout for joy upon their beds.”
69. 3 John 1:4 “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”
Joy in worship Bible verses
Worshiping the Lord is a beautiful experience. If I’m being honest, I forget the importance of worship and focusing on Christ until I do it. There is always something to thank the Lord for. I encourage you to worship God and remain still before Him, perhaps even after reading this post. Remain in worship until you experience the indescribable joy He provides.
70. Psalm 100:1-2 “Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing.”
71. Psalm 43:4 “Then I will go to the altar of God, To God my exceeding joy; And upon the lyre I shall praise You, O God, my God.”
72. Psalm 33:1-4 “Sing for joy in the Lord, you who are right with Him. It is right for the pure in heart to praise Him. 2 Give thanks to the Lord with harps. Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings. 3 Sing to Him a new song. Play well with loud sounds of joy. 4 For the Word of the Lord is right. He is faithful in all He does.”
73. Psalm 98:4-9 “Sing for joy to the Lord, all the earth; praise him with songs and shouts of joy! 5 Sing praises to the Lord! Play music on the harps! 6 Blow trumpets and horns, and shout for joy to the Lord, our king. 7 Roar, sea, and every creature in you; sing, earth, and all who live on you! 8 Clap your hands, you rivers; you hills, sing together with joy before the Lord, 9 because he comes to rule the earth. He will rule the peoples of the world with justice and fairness.”
74. Ezra 3:11 “And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.”
75. Psalm 4:6-7 “There are many who say, “Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!” 7 You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.”
76. Psalm 71:23 “My lips will sing with joy when I make music to praise you. My soul, which you have rescued, also will sing joyfully.”
77. Isaiah 35:10 “and those the LORD has rescued will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.”
Examples of joy in the Bible
78. Matthew 2:10 “When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.”
79. Matthew 13:44 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found, and hid. In his joy, he goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field.”
80. Matthew 18:12-13 “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.”
81. Luke 1:13-15 “But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.”
82. Luke 1:28 “So Gabriel went into the house and said to her, “Joy be to you, favoured one! the Lord is with you.”
83. Luke 1:44 “As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.”
84. Luke 15:24 “For this, my son, who was dead, is living again; he had gone away from me, and has come back. And they were full of joy.”
85. Luke 24:41 “And while they still disbelieved for joy and were marveling, he said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?”
86. 2 Corinthians 7:13 “Therefore we were comforted in your comfort: yea, and exceedingly the more joyed we for the joy of Titus, because his spirit was refreshed by you all.”
87. Proverbs 23:24 “The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.”
88. Proverbs 10:1 “The proverbs of Solomon: A wise child brings joy to a father; a foolish child brings grief to a mother.”
89. Nehemiah 12:43 “And on that day they offered great sacrifices, rejoicing because God had given them great joy. The women and children also rejoiced. The sound of rejoicing in Jerusalem could be heard far away.”
90. Isaiah 9:3 “You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy; they rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest, as warriors rejoice when dividing the plunder.”
91. 1 Samuel 2:1 “Hannah prayed: My heart rejoices in the LORD; my horn is lifted up by the LORD. My mouth boasts over my enemies, because I rejoice in your salvation.”
92. Philemon 1:7 “Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.”
93. Philippians 3:1 “In conclusion, my brethren, be joyful in the Lord. For me to give you the same warnings as before is not irksome to me, while so far as you are concerned it is a safe precaution.“